Sunday, February 8, 2009

Annie on My Mind

Garden, Nancy. Annie on My Mind. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1982.
[Book cover credit: http://www.librarything.com/]

Awards:
ALA Best Books for Young Adults (1982)
Booklist Reviewers Choice (1982)
School Library Journal's 100 Books that Shaped the Century (2000)
Retro Mock Printz Award (2002)

In 2003, Nancy Garden was also awarded the Margaret A. Edwards Award for Lifetime Achievement for Annie on My Mind.

Summary:
After meeting in a museum, Annie and Liza strike a friendship that crosses the boundaries between Liza's private school upbringing and Annie's metal detector, public school reality. When this friendship also crosses the line between friendship and romance, they must figure out how to proceed and who to tell.

Booktalk:
"Chad kept kidding me that I was in love, and asking with whom, and then Sally and Walt did, too, and after a while I didn't even mind, because even if they had the wrong idea about it, they were right" (p109).

When Annie and Liza's friendship becomes something more, will they be able to keep if a secret? Will their relationship survive being hidden? More importantly, should it?

No comments: